22 March 2012

Oh So Delicious- Calgary Food Edition

It was my mission when arriving in Calgary to try some of the best restaurants the city had to offer. After spending so much time in a non-foodie city, my taste buds were dying for some flavor. 12 days of taste testing, here are my top restaurants & dishes.

Una Pizza- On top is Una's 4-maggi with provolone, asiago, mozzarella & asiago, finished with truffle honey. On the bottom is the wild mushroom with scarmorza cheese, arugula, grana padano & truffle oil. AKA my truffle heaven. This place is full of hipster couples sharing vino & a pie.
_____________________________________________________________________________
Silver Dragon- This restaurant is located in the heart of Chinatown & we may or may not have ordered takeout from here twice.
I am sure all the other rooms on our floor were wondering where the scrumptious smell was coming from.
Sweet & sour chicken balls, veggie dumplings, and chicken fried rice yummy in my tummy.

This was the largest dumpling my eyes have ever seen. One and you are done.
________________________________________________________________________
Globefish -The sushi had me drooling but it was the ultra trendy decor and fashionable waitstaff that made my experience anything but dull.
{Ps have you ever tried inari? If not you are missing out on my favorite item on the menu, a pouch of fried sweet tofu filled with sushi rice .}



_________________________________________________________________

Borgo Trattoria had won me over before we even sat down. They were projecting an Italian fashion show in their bar area. Love that.
In-house baked ciabatta bread with a sweet balsamic & olive oil dip, warm feta & olives, and sauteed mushrooms were a few of the appys that made it to our table.
 
Feeding into my truffle oil obsession, the white wine sauteed mushrooms with truffle oil (obvs) & herbs won over my heart.
While my fiancĂ©e & his family opted for the create your own 3-course dinner I indulged in the orecchiette pasta dish. While you would think the broccolini & parmesan shreds would have been my favorite part, they however were not. It was the whole roasted garlic gloves that had me licking my plate (okay not really but I was thinking about it). 

_________________________________________________________________

Thai Tai is the after bar destination. With the line wrapping around the corner, the long wait is well worth it. The unique Vietnamese subs (ya you heard right) they offer had me in flavor heaven. 
Chicken curry on wheat with shredded carrots, cucumber, & special sauce (don't really know what it is but I guarantee you it makes the sandwich that much better).
To satisfy my fried fix I had the veggie egg rolls which were flaky & filling. I recommend you also try their extensive list of smoothies/bubble teas. Kiwi mango. Delightful.


1 comment:

  1. You had your Thai Tai! It's so good hey?! I'll be back on the 2nd of April....how's it looking for you still being in Calgary or coming back?

    ReplyDelete